Advertisement

(Sviatoslav Richter | 1965 | Live) Prokofiev: Piano Sonata No.2 in D minor, Op.14

(Sviatoslav Richter | 1965 | Live) Prokofiev: Piano Sonata No.2 in D minor, Op.14 I normally have no difficulties retaining my composure in the face of even the most extravagant wizardry at the piano. But had I been religious this is one of those recordings where I'd have to cross myself before listening. Such complete mastery over the instrument, such limitless intellect, and such an overwhelming spirit at the helm of it! Henri Vieuxtemps' words about Anton Rubinstein spring to mind:

"His power over the piano is something undreamt of; he transports you into another world, all that is mechanical in the instrument is forgotten."

Right you are Henri. Even when you're being kidnapped. I won't call Richter the preeminent pianist of the 20th Century, because there are many who make claim to the title in many different ways, but I find it harder not to go there with Richter than with any other musician since his artistic ideals are of such scope, touch on something so primal, and flow in such an uninhibited way through him. "Sometimes you think it's a spirit sitting there at the piano" said Madame Schumann of Liszt - and it's thanks to Richter I know what she felt, where music appears to come not from a performer manipulating an instrument, but called in like a fifth force of nature.

In memoriam. Sviatoslav Richter was born on March 20, 1915 (N.S.).


Prokofiev: Piano Sonata No.2 in D minor, Op.14
00:00 - I. Allegro, ma non troppo
06:58 - II. Scherzo: Allegro marcato
08:55 - III. Andante
14:16 - IV. Vivace

- Sviatoslav Richter, piano

------------------
Source: Radio Broadcast

Piano,Richter,Prokofiev,

Post a Comment

0 Comments